Wednesday, October 05, 2005

I guess that makes me a sister....

Thursday, September 15, 2005 (cont'd)
Steve's office

"What an asshole," Dom says. "Good job handling it." He shakes my hand. "I'm just glad you didn't send that money again."

"Yeah, me too. Just make sure-"

"That I have a confirmation number from now on? I'm on it."

"Thanks, Dom." He walks out.

Heidi buzzes me. "Steve? Your brother is still on line 12."

Shit! He's been holding for at least 10 minutes. He must be really upset if he waited that long. Then again, this is Greg. A bee sting is a major issue for him.

"Go ahead, Heidi."

"Hey, Greg. Ever hear of voice mail?"

"Is it true, Steve?" He says, sharply. It sounds like he's out of breath.

"Is WHAT true?" I ask. But I know exactly what he's talking about. Somehow, Greg found out that I fucked Jenny. Let the drama begin.

"You know what I mean, Steve. Please tell me it's not true. Please tell me you aren't that sick."

There is still a chance that we aren't talking about the same thing. A SLIGHT chance, yes, but a chance. Plus, I'm not going to make this easy for him. If he's going to break my balls, he's going to work for it.

"Greg. Is WHAT true?!"

"Did you- sleep with Jennifer?"

"And who told you that?" I say, quickly.

"DID you?"

"Did anyone ever tell you you were lousy at minding your own business?"

"You did it. You DID it!" he says. I can almost see the deep sneer on his face.

"If you say so, man." I'm trying not to admit to it directly; this way, on the off chance that someone else besides Jenny blabbed about this, I could always say that I never actually confessed to it. Any by the way, if it was her, where the HELL did she get off telling someone about it? Was she stupid?

"Steve, she's our COUSIN! She's a blood relative! What the hell is the MATTER with you?"

Well, my cholesterol is a bit on the high side. And when I walk long distances, I get this weird pain in the third toe on my right foot...

"Greg, you have a wife and a family, and a job. Why don't you worry about your own life and stop trying to be the frigging hero. Can you do that?"

"Jenny TOLD Nancy! She TOLD her! SHE got us involved! And I'm gonna tell you something, Steve."

I really don't want to hear this.

"You know what, Greg? I'm awfully busy here. So when you calm down a little-"

"As far as I'm concerned, you're not my brother anymore."