Sunday, October 09, 2005

I'm guessing PAX TV is going to pass on this one...

Thursday, September 15, 7:15pm
Steve's house

"Hello?"

"Jenny. Steve." I'm trying to control my temper but I can feel the anger seeping out.

"Steve? What's wrong?"

"What's wrong?"

She draws a long breath, then exhales audibly. "Steve, I'm sorry. Nancy said something to you too, didn't she?"

"Not exactly, but Greg did. How could you tell her something like that?"

"I just... I don't know! We were talking, and I was feeling so terrible, and it just kinda slipped out!"

"Well, Greg's disowned me, just so you know."

"Yeah, well, he gave me an earful too, you know."

"Really?"

"Oh yeah, told me I was disgusting. So that was a nice phone call."

"I don't understand how that just slips out."

"I don't hold things in, Steve. I'm not like you. I can't just forget things like that. That was a big deal for me!"

"Me too."

"Yeah, right."

"It was!"

Another exhale. "I don't know what you want me to say, Steve. I was stupid? I'm an idiot? Just tell me what you want me to say!"

"It's not that I want you to say something. I just think that, if you needed someone to talk to, that you could have found someone better than Nancy. You're almost a doctor! Isn't there someone-"

"Oh yeah! I'll just call one of my fellow practitioners and go, 'Hi! I just fucked my first cousin!' That'll go over really well!"

"Jenny-"

"I probably should'nt've told Nancy. I was vulnerable and needed someone to talk to, and I had no intention of telling her, but I told her about the whole fight with Bill, and then I told her that I slept with someone else-"

"And?"

"And she was making me feel better. It felt good to talk about it. And then, the next thing I knew, I was telling her the guy was you. I'm sorry if you can't understand that. I don't know what else you want me to say!"

"What did she say when you told her?"

"Nothing. Total silence. So I said, 'I am sure you think I'm disgusting now'. And she said 'no', but I know she did. I asked her not to say anything, but..."

"Yeah, Nancy's got a huge mouth. So are you still feeling better?"

"No."

"How do you feel about what happened?"

"I told you. The same way I always feel when it comes to us. Totally confused and conflicted. And ashamed of myself."

"I don't."

"I know. I thought maybe this could work with us, Steve, but this is way too weird."

"Why don't you stop letting everyone else think for you?"

"I'm NOT!"

"You didn't seem too disgusted by it that night."

"And now I do! And I can't believe you don't!"

"We've hooked up before."

"But we've never had sex! Big difference!!"

"Can we not fight? My brother already hates me; I don't want you hating me too."

Long pause. "I could never hate you."