Monday, April 04, 2005

Be careful what you wish for

Saturday, March 12, 2005, 12:00pm
Steph's house

"You want to WHAT?"

"Go without sex for a month."

"Why?"

"You're not emotionally ready, right?"

"Umm, not completely."

"So there you go."

"No way, Steve."

"So you don't want to do it, and you don't want to go without."

"Where did you get this idea?"

"I had a psych professor in school, Dr. Madison. He was a therapist for a while. And he had this married couple as patients, where the guy didn't want to have sex. And they were working on their problems with him, and when they started getting better, he said, 'You two are not allowed to have sex until I say so'."

"Reverse psychology."

"Kind of. Telling them they couldn't do it made them want to do it more. But also it took the pressure off."

"How so?"

"The wife didn't have to worry about whether or not she was gonna get any; she wasn't. And the husband didn't have to worry about whether he was going to have to do it, becuase he wasn't."

"So that gave them time to work on their issues."

"Right."

"I don't like this idea."

"Why?"

"You won't be able to do it."

"Thanks, Steph."

"Seriously! It's gonna make you very angry, and you're gonna resent me. I've already put you through hell."

"How am I gonna resent YOU when it was my idea?"

"You're gonna resent me for not being ready."

"Would you let me worry about that, please?"

She sighs. "Well, I mean, you can still masturbate, right?"

"When Dr. Madison did this he told them they could masturbate once per week each."

"That's IT?"

"Otherwise, they'd just whack off constantly and defeat the purpose. Oh, and kissing is ok, but no touching of genitals."

She stares at me, her eyes narrowed. "You're really serious about this, aren't you?"

"Of course I am."

"The ONLY reason I am considering this is because I could use the time to build up trust with you again. It would be nice to.... go out on dates with you without that hanging over us."

"So let's do it then."

"You're not lasting a month," she says.

"I'll last longer than you."